Before you start uploading your spreadsheet of data you need to create the metadata. Metadata is the underlying information which describes the context of the dataset.
- Click on the Admin tab > Manage Your Data
- You will then be directed to the Upload and manage your data page. Click on the New dataset button
- All the above fields are required:
- The Long name is the title which will appear in the info box on the maps
- The Short name appears as the indicator title on the map
- A description is a useful way for you to describe how the data was collected and the reason behind its collection. This information will be shown in the Info button in the About The Indicator popup box. Fill this out so that other users have a clear understanding of the nature of the data
- The source of your data
- How frequently you will update this data? If you are unsure of when the data will be updated then you may just enter a sentence to explain that (e.g This dataset is irregularly updated.)
- Legend text describes what the the colours on the map represent. For example, the colours on the map show % of children in year 6 classified as obese
- If your data has decimal places, specify how many decimal points you would like the data to display.
- Use the 1000 separator to make your number more clear
- Insert a prefix, this is a symbol which will be displayed before the numerical value so for example, if you are uploading monetary data use the £ symbol
- Insert a suffix if you would like a symbol such as % to appear after the numerical value
Lastly to the important part: How do you want the data to be aggregated?
- Please note: that this information cannot be edited after the data has been uploaded so ensure you have chosen the correct options.
- Would you like the data you are uploading to be summed up to form a total or would you like the data to be averaged out? For more information on this feature click here
- Data period type. How was your data collected? Was it a snapshot from a single point in time or collected over a period? The answer to this question will affect the process later on in the upload where you will be able to fill in the time of collection or the total period of time
- Suppression. This feature is to protect sensitive data. For a detailed explanation on this click here
Once all these fields are completed you can click Save your custom dataset and you will be directed back to the Manage your data home page
Now that the metadata is complete you can start uploading your data. See article: